Monday, August 15th, 2016

New Feature: True Excel Export

After years of CSV and TSV exports, we’ve added a “true” Excel export for your catalog. Find yours here: https://www.librarything.com/export.php?export_type=xls.

It’s a minimal, simple implementation. We made the headings bold, changed some column widths and defined some columns as text and some as numbers, but otherwise left the data as-is. We tested it out, but there are so many versions of Excel out there, that we’d appreciate feedback from members too.

Let us know what you think in Talk.

Screenshot 2016-08-15 15.39.59

Labels: export, new features

12 Comments:

1. Rick Shepard says:

I used your Excel Export feature to consolidate and download my library, and it worked great! I have Office 365, which currently has Excel 2016, and it worked perfect with no issues.

2. Robert Sterbal says:

Would a label of Excel make sense as well?

3. Richard cox says:

excel export does not work. it is stuck endlessly processing my 196 books. good old csv export worked and is what I need.

4. Tim says:

We’re working on it. Sorry. -Tim

5. Andy says:

Same problem as as others…loads 609 books but never stops. Endlessly cycling…

Andy

6. magwi says:

worked perfectly for 910 books in less than a minute. Using Chrome as the browser and Excel from Office 360 Thanks a bunch for this! We’ve just moved, and an update to the library is clearly in order!

7. TopekaRev says:

I thought it had downloaded my list of books perfectly. On further examination it downloaded 250 in perfect alphabetical order and then the rest of the 150+ books were listed in a random, mixed up listing. Is there a way to solve this?

8. KVMuseum says:

Just discovered the export option. It was very hard for me to find. It worked great on our 647 books so far. It will be interesting to see if it works on our entire collection of more than 7,000 books. Keep your fingers crossed! Thank you! This saves me a LOT of work!