Tuesday, June 13th, 2017

The LibraryThing Android App is here!

UPDATE: LT staffer Loranne did some speed cataloging to put the app through its paces. Check out the video!

Meet the official LibraryThing Android App!

What does it do? The LibraryThing Android app mirrors our iPhone/iOS app. Among other things, you can:

• Browse and search your library overall and by collection.
  • Add books, CDs, and DVDs by scanning barcodes. The barcode scanning is SUPER FAST!
  • Add items by searching by title, author, ISBN, etc.
  • Browse and upload covers, using your Android’s camera.
  • Do minor editing, such as adding books to collections and rating them. Major editing is done by a link to LibraryThing.com.

Free accounts. We’re giving away lifetime memberships to anyone who uses the app. Register for a new account using the LibraryThing App, or sign into the app with an existing account, and you’ll be automatically upgraded.

Check out the app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.librarything.librarything&hl=en

Come tell us what you think, and join the discussion on Talk. Need help? Check out our App Help Page.

Our Android app has been a long time coming, and we’re pretty happy with it! Many thanks to our members who helped us fine tune things with the pre-release alpha version.

Frequently Asked Questions

What devices are supported?
Android devices running 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich – circa October 2011) or later.

Does it work on wifi? Offline?
Wifi, you bet. Offline, no. This is a much-requested feature, but not likely to come any time soon.

Is there an [other-OS] version of the app?
The iPhone/iOS app is available here. We do not plan to make apps for other systems.

Can I use it on my tablet?
It’s designed for a phone, but will work on your Android tablet, too. NB: some tablet cameras don’t have a built in flash, so you’ll want to make sure you’re scanning barcodes in a well-lit room.

Will you add this feature?
The app will never do everything, but future versions will do more. Your feedback is welcome on this Talk topic.

Problems with the app?
Post any issues you run into on the bug report.

Labels: app, new features

18 Comments:

1. I’ve written exactly one app in my life and it was a LibraryThing app with only had one function: scan a barcode and search my collection for a match. I was excited to see an official app was out and immediately installed it. And, to my surprise, there is a search function but I can’t use the barcode scanner with it, I have to type in ISBNs. Please tell me you’ll be adding this feature soon as all the bit seem to be there, just not interacting with each other. Please don’t make me eschew being official and go back to my little cobbled-together app.

• Loranne says:

I’m pleased to say that our app does have a built-in barcode scan feature. When you tap “Add to Catalog,” look near the top-right corner of the add screen, to the right of the Search bar. There should be a little barcode icon. Tap this icon to scan barcodes with your device camera. If you’re having trouble or this feature isn’t working for you, please let us know! You can email LT staff at info@librarything.com.

• jjmcgaffey says:

Yesbut. Does the barcode scan work _only_ when adding? Is it possible to search my library via barcode scan, without trying to add the book?

Use case: I know I have this book on LT; I also have it in my hand. I can type in (part of) title or author, or ISBN, and find it in my catalog on the app. Can I scan the barcode and find it?

• jjmcgaffey is right. I know I can add via barcode scan, but I want to search my collection via the same method.

• Loranne says:

I’m sorry, I misread your initial question. Currently, you can only scan barcodes to add to your library—not search. Other folks have requested this feature, too, and now that the Android app is out, we’re looking to expand features for future versions. This is just one of a few things we’re looking into as a possibility. Thanks for your feedback!

2. […] to the Librarything Blog, they are giving away free Lifetime Memberships for people who download and use the new Android […]

3. Robert Sterbal says:

Can you post the video that is on facebook of 2 people scanning a bookshelf on the web somewhere?

4. Andrea Murphy says:

I’m having trouble using the barcode scanner on the Android app. The first time I was able to scan one book before it quit. I uninstalled and reinstalled and was able to scan five books before it quit. Is anybody else having similar issues?

5. Pamela says:

This is wonderful and I love it! (there may be a typo on the “Creat Account” page) Thank you for making this app!

6. Brandon D LeBlanc says:

Can two people share a library? As in if my wife and I both have the app can we connect it to a single library so we stop double and triple buying books?!

7. Phil Shapiro says:

Thanks! This app will be so useful for me in keeping track of which books I’ve lost and which books I’ve misplaced. http://www.his.com/~pshapiro/lostandmisplaced.html (heh)

Honestly – thought. Excellent work. That video was so impressive, too. It makes the most skeptical persons quick believers.

8. Melissa Dow says:

Hi! I’m so excited about the app, but I’m having trouble with using the scanner to add DVDs. I’ve added books very easily (yay!) but when I scan the barcodes on my movie collection nothing comes up. I can, however, add DVDs by manually typing the ISBN printed above the barcode. Any tips? Is this the right place to ask? Thanks again!

9. Cin says:

I’m so glad the app is out! I spent much of today recommending it to everyone.
    I was wondering if there is any way a future update could make adding a read date a minor edit instead of linking to the full site? One of the main things I like is to keep track of when I read books and it’s still a bit cumbersome to do on the app.