We haven’t run a good, old-fashioned contest in a while, so it’s time! We’re going to try something new (to LibraryThing) for this one: it’s a virtual Edible Books Contest!
How to participate:
1. Create an “edible book.” We’re defining this broadly, so entries can include dishes:
- referencing a book’s title or characters (puns are entirely welcome)
- inspired by a book’s plot
- in the shape of an actual book (or eBook, or scroll, etc.)
- takeoffs on the LibraryThing logo
2. Take some photos of what you made. The photo at right is one of the entries from the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library’s Edible Books Festival (see more of their photos here).
3. Upload the photo to your LT member gallery. Sign in, then go here and click the “Add another picture” link to add the image.*
4. When adding the image, tag it “EdibleBooks2012″. This will add your image to the contest gallery, and counts as your entry into the contest. If your photo doesn’t have the tag, we won’t know that you’ve entered. You’ll be able to see all the entries here.
5. Tell us about it in the “Title/description” box.
Deadline: Add your photos by 4 p.m. EDT on Thursday, May 10.
What we’ll do:
Based on all the images in the “EdibleBooks2012″ photo gallery, LibraryThing staff will choose the following winners:
Grand Prize (1)
- An LT t-shirt (size/color of your choice)
- An LT library stamp
- A CueCat
- An LT sticker
- Three lifetime gift memberships
- Great honor
Runners Up (2)
- Your choice of one LT t-shirt, stamp, or CueCat
- Two lifetime gift memberships
We may also pick a few Honorable Mentions—final number will depend on the number of entries received—and they’ll receive a lifetime gift membership.
Fine Print: You can enter as many times as you like, but you can only win one prize. Your dish must be made of edible ingredients (no hats, lost-wax sculptures, performance art), and by entering the contest you certify that it is your own creation. All decisions as to winners will be made by LibraryThing staff, and our decisions are final. LibraryThing staff and family can enter, but can only be honored as prize-less runners-up. Any images you load stay yours, or you can release them under a copyleft license, but we get a standard “non-exclusive, perpetual” right to use them.
Questions? Feel free to post questions/discussion/etc. here.
* We thought about having everyone send us their dishes for judging (and tasting). But we decided they might not hold up to mailing well, and that our waistlines probably couldn’t handle it!