LibraryThing is hiring 1-2 library programmers/developers/hackers.
We want to find the best people available anywhere. Work for us in Maine, or stay where you are—in your pajamas for all we care.
LibraryThing and our LibraryThing for Libraries project are both growing rapidly. We are expanding our staff and taking on new, exciting projects. We think books and libraries are the world—and we’re going to change it.
The idea candidate would be:
- Willing to learn what you don’t know
- Knowledge of library systems, particularly OPACs
- Knowledge of library standards, particularly MARC
- Able to think globally and creatively about library technology
- Able to self-direct or collaborate with others as needed
- Able to communicate well with others
- Hard working to a fault
- Eager to change the world
Bonus points for:
- An MLS
- Driving Distance to Portland, Maine
- Strong CSS, HTML, usability, UX skills; Perl
- Committment and experience with Open Source and Open Data
- Already “out there” in terms of LibraryThing membership, or participation in similar sites
- Willingness to tolerate my quaint dislike of OO programming
- Experience with non-library bibliographic data
- Oenophilia, tyrophilia*
The position is eligible for our $1,000-in-free-books program. Refer someone to us and we pay $1,000 in free books. Self-refer and you get the books instead.
*Not going to concede on this one.